You (“Licensee”) agree that by clicking “Join Now”, “Sign-up” or similar, registering, accessing our using our services or Software (defined below), you are agreeing to enter into a legally binding contract with Stuart Marshall and Matt Wenger (dba bThere, Inc.) (”Licensor”) as of the date you agree enter a contract (“Effective Date”). If you do not agree to enter into a contract, do not click “Join Now”, “Sign-up” or similar, registering, accessing our using our services or Software. Licensor and Licensee may be referred to herein collectively as the “Parties” or individually as a “Party.”
WHEREAS, Licensor agrees to license the Software described in Exhibit A attached hereto to Licensee; and
WHEREAS, Licensee desires to obtain a license to use the Software for its internal business purposes, subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration of the mutual covenants, terms, and conditions set forth herein, and for other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged, the Parties agree as follows:
(a) ”Authorized User” means an employee, contractor or customer of Licensee who Licensee permits to access and use the Software and/or Documentation pursuant to Licensee’s license hereunder.
(b) ”Documentation” means Licensor’s user manuals, handbooks, and installation guides relating to the Software provided by Licensor to Licensee either electronically or in hard copy form/end user documentation relating to the Software defined below.
(c) “Software” means the product and service described in Exhibit A in object code format, including any Updates provided to Licensee pursuant to this Agreement.
(d) ”Third-Party Products” means any third-party products described in Exhibit A provided with or incorporated into the Software.
(e) ”Updates” means any updates, bug fixes, patches, or other error corrections to the Software that Licensor generally makes available free of charge to all licensees of the Software.
(a) License Grant. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Licensor hereby grants Licensee a non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, and non-transferable (except in compliance with Section 12(g)) license during the Term to use the Software solely for Licensee’s business purposes.
(b) Use Restrictions. Licensee shall not use the Software or Documentation for any purposes beyond the scope of the license granted in this Agreement. Without limiting the foregoing and except as otherwise expressly set forth in this Agreement, Licensee shall not at any time, directly or indirectly: (i) copy, modify, or create derivative works of the Software or the Documentation, in whole or in part; (ii) rent, lease, lend, sell, sublicense, assign, distribute, publish, transfer, or otherwise make available the Software or the Documentation; (iii) reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile, decode, adapt, or otherwise attempt to derive or gain access to the source code of the Software, in whole or in part; (iv) remove any proprietary notices from the Software or the Documentation; (v) use the Software for benchmarking, or (vi) use the Software in any manner or for any purpose that infringes, misappropriates, or otherwise violates any intellectual property right or other right of any person, or that violates any applicable law.
(c) Reservation of Rights. Licensor reserves all rights not expressly granted to Licensee in this Agreement. Except for the limited rights and licenses expressly granted under this Agreement, nothing in this Agreement grants, by implication, waiver, estoppel, or otherwise, to Licensee or any third party any intellectual property rights or other right, title, or interest in or to the Software.
3. Licensee Responsibilities.
(a) General. Licensee is responsible and liable for all uses of the Software and Documentation resulting from access provided by Licensee, directly or indirectly, whether such access or use is permitted by or in violation of this Agreement. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Licensee is responsible for all acts and omissions of Authorized Users, and any act or omission by an Authorized User that would constitute a breach of this Agreement if taken by Licensee will be deemed a breach of this Agreement by Licensee. Licensee shall take reasonable efforts to make all Authorized Users aware of this Agreement’s provisions as applicable to such Authorized User’s use of the Software, and shall cause Authorized Users to comply with such provisions.
4. Support. This Agreement does not entitle Licensee to any support for the Software.
5. Confidential Information. From time to time during the Term, either Party may disclose or make available to the other Party information about its business affairs, products, confidential intellectual property, trade secrets, third-party confidential information, and other sensitive or proprietary information[, whether orally or in written, electronic, or other form or media/in written or electronic form or media], marked, designated or otherwise identified as “confidential” (collectively, “Confidential Information”). Confidential Information does not include information that, at the time of disclosure is: (a) in the public domain; (b) known to the receiving Party at the time of disclosure; (c) rightfully obtained by the receiving Party on a non-confidential basis from a third party; or (d) independently developed by the receiving Party. The receiving Party shall not disclose the disclosing Party’s Confidential Information to any person or entity, except to the receiving Party’s employees who have a need to know the Confidential Information for the receiving Party to exercise its rights or perform its obligations hereunder. Notwithstanding the foregoing, each Party may disclose Confidential Information to the limited extent required (i) in order to comply with the order of a court or other governmental body, or as otherwise necessary to comply with applicable law, provided that the Party making the disclosure pursuant to the order shall first have given written notice to the other Party and made a reasonable effort to obtain a protective order; or (ii) to establish a Party’s rights under this Agreement, including to make required court filings. On the expiration or termination of the Agreement, the receiving Party shall promptly return to the disclosing Party all copies, whether in written, electronic, or other form or media, of the disclosing Party’s Confidential Information, or destroy all such copies and certify in writing to the disclosing Party that such Confidential Information has been destroyed. Each Party’s obligations of non-disclosure with regard to Confidential Information are effective as of the Effective Date and will survive any termination or expiration of this Agreement.
6. Intellectual Property Ownership.
(a) Licensee acknowledges that, as between Licensee and Licensor, Licensor owns all right, title, and interest, including all intellectual property rights, in and to the Software and Documentation.
(b) Feedback. If Licensee or any of its employees or contractors sends or transmits any communications or materials to Licensor by mail, email, telephone, or otherwise, suggesting or recommending changes to the Software or Documentation, including without limitation, new features or functionality relating thereto, or any comments, questions, suggestions, or the like (”Feedback”), Licensor is free to use such Feedback irrespective of any other obligation or limitation between the Parties governing such Feedback. Licensee hereby assigns to Licensor on Licensee’s behalf, and on behalf of its employees, contractors and/or agents, all right, title, and interest in, and Licensor is free to use, without any attribution or compensation to any party, any ideas, know-how, concepts, techniques, or other intellectual property rights contained in the Feedback, for any purpose whatsoever, although Licensor is not required to use any Feedback.
7. Warranty Disclaimer.
THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND LICENSOR HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY, OR OTHERWISE. LICENSOR SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND ALL WARRANTIES ARISING FROM COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE, OR TRADE PRACTICE.
Licensee shall indemnify, hold harmless, and, at Licensor’s option, defend Licensor from and against any and all losses, damages, liabilities and costs (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) (“Losses”) arising from or relating to Licensee’s use under this Agreement, including, without limitation, use of the Software
9. Limitations of Liability. IN NO EVENT WILL LICENSOR BE LIABLE UNDER OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT UNDER ANY LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY, INCLUDING BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY, AND OTHERWISE, FOR ANY: (a) CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, EXEMPLARY, SPECIAL, ENHANCED, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES; (b) INCREASED COSTS, DIMINUTION IN VALUE OR LOST BUSINESS, PRODUCTION, REVENUES, OR PROFITS; (c) LOSS OF GOODWILL OR REPUTATION; (d) USE, INABILITY TO USE, LOSS, INTERRUPTION, DELAY OR RECOVERY OF ANY DATA, OR BREACH OF DATA OR SYSTEM SECURITY; OR (e) COST OF REPLACEMENT GOODS OR SERVICES, IN EACH CASE REGARDLESS OF WHETHER LICENSOR WAS ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH LOSSES OR DAMAGES OR SUCH LOSSES OR DAMAGES WERE OTHERWISE FORESEEABLE. IN NO EVENT WILL LICENSOR’S AGGREGATE LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THIS AGREEMENT UNDER ANY LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY, INCLUDING BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY, AND OTHERWISE EXCEED THE TOTAL AMOUNTS PAID TO LICENSOR UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, WHICHEVER IS LESS.
10. Term and Termination.
(a) Term. The [initial] term of this Agreement begins on the Effective Date and, unless terminated earlier pursuant to any of the Agreement’s express provisions, will continue in effect until termination by either Party as detailed herein.
(b) Termination. In addition to any other express termination right set forth in this Agreement:
(i) Licensor may terminate this Agreement at will, with or without cause;
(ii) either Party may terminate this Agreement, effective on written notice, including email, to the other Party, if the other Party breaches this Agreement, and such breach: (A) is incapable of cure; or (B) being capable of cure, remains uncured for 30 days after the non-breaching Party provides the breaching Party with written notice of such breach; or
(iii) either Party may terminate this Agreement, effective immediately upon written notice, including by email, to the other Party, if the other Party: (A) becomes insolvent or is generally unable to pay, or fails to pay, its debts as they become due; (B) files or has filed against it, a petition for voluntary or involuntary bankruptcy or otherwise becomes subject, voluntarily or involuntarily, to any proceeding under any domestic or foreign bankruptcy or insolvency law; (C) makes or seeks to make a general assignment for the benefit of its creditors; or (D) applies for or has appointed a receiver, trustee, custodian, or similar agent appointed by order of any court of competent jurisdiction to take charge of or sell any material portion of its property or business.
(c) Effect of Expiration or Termination. Upon expiration or earlier termination of this Agreement, the license granted hereunder will also terminate, and, without limiting Licensee’s obligations under Section 6, Licensee shall cease using and delete, destroy, or return all copies of the Software and Documentation and certify in writing to the Licensor that the Software and Documentation has been deleted or destroyed. No expiration or termination will affect Licensee’s obligation to pay all Fees that may have become due before such expiration or termination, or entitle Licensee to any refund.
(d) Survival. This Section 11(d) and Sections 1, 5, 6, 7, 8(d), 9, 10, and 12 survive any termination or expiration of this Agreement. No other provisions of this Agreement survive the expiration or earlier termination of this Agreement.
(a) Entire Agreement. This Agreement, together with any other documents incorporated herein by reference and all related Exhibits, constitutes the sole and entire agreement of the Parties with respect to the subject matter of this Agreement and supersedes all prior and contemporaneous understandings, agreements, and representations and warranties, both written and oral, with respect to such subject matter. In the event of any inconsistency between the statements made in the body of this Agreement, the related Exhibits, and any other documents incorporated herein by reference, the following order of precedence governs: (a) first, this Agreement, excluding its Exhibits; (b) second, the Exhibits to this Agreement as of the Effective Date; and (c) third, any other documents incorporated herein by reference.
(b) Notices. All notices, requests, consents, claims, demands, waivers, and other communications hereunder (each, a “Notice”) must be in writing and addressed to the Parties at the addresses provided by the Parties 7or to such other address that may be designated ==y the Party giving Notice from time to time in accordance with this Section). All Notices must be in writing and can be delivered by personal delivery, nationally recognized overnight courier (with all fees pre-paid), facsimile, or email (with confirmation of transmission) or certified or registered mail (in each case, return receipt requested, postage pre-paid). Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, a Notice is effective only: (i) upon receipt by the receiving Party, and (ii) if the Party giving the Notice has complied with the requirements of this Section.
(c) Force Majeure. In no event shall Licensor be liable to Licensee, or be deemed to have breached this Agreement, for any failure or delay in performing its obligations under this Agreement, if and to the extent such failure or delay is caused by any circumstances beyond Licensor’s reasonable control, including but not limited to acts of God, flood, fire, earthquake, explosion, war, terrorism, invasion, riot or other civil unrest, strikes, labor stoppages or slowdowns or other industrial disturbances, or passage of law or any action taken by a governmental or public authority, including imposing an embargo.
(d) Amendment and Modification; Waiver. No amendment to or modification of this Agreement is effective unless it is in writing and signed by an authorized representative of each Party. No waiver by any Party of any of the provisions hereof will be effective unless explicitly set forth in writing and signed by the Party so waiving. Except as otherwise set forth in this Agreement, (i) no failure to exercise, or delay in exercising, any rights, remedy, power, or privilege arising from this Agreement will operate or be construed as a waiver thereof and (ii) no single or partial exercise of any right, remedy, power, or privilege hereunder will preclude any other or further exercise thereof or the exercise of any other right, remedy, power, or privilege.
(e) Severability. If any provision of this Agreement is invalid, illegal, or unenforceable in any jurisdiction, such invalidity, illegality, or unenforceability will not affect any other term or provision of this Agreement or invalidate or render unenforceable such term or provision in any other jurisdiction. Upon such determination that any term or other provision is invalid, illegal, or unenforceable, the Parties hereto shall negotiate in good faith to modify this Agreement so as to effect the original intent of the Parties as closely as possible in a mutually acceptable manner in order that the transactions contemplated hereby be consummated as originally contemplated to the greatest extent possible.
(f) Governing Law; Submission to Jurisdiction. This Agreement is governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of Washington without giving effect to any choice or conflict of law provision or rule that would require or permit the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than those of the State of Washington. Any legal suit, action, or proceeding arising out of or related to this Agreement or the licenses granted hereunder will be instituted exclusively in the federal courts of the United States or the courts of the State of Washington in each case located in the city of Seattle and County of King and each Party irrevocably submits to the [exclusive] jurisdiction of such courts in any such suit, action, or proceeding.
(g) Assignment. Licensee may not assign or transfer any of its rights or delegate any of its obligations hereunder, in each case whether voluntarily, involuntarily, by operation of law or otherwise, without the prior written consent of Licensor[, which consent shall not be unreasonably withheld, conditioned, or delayed]. Any purported assignment, transfer, or delegation in violation of this Section is null and void. No assignment, transfer, or delegation will relieve the assigning or delegating Party of any of its obligations hereunder. This Agreement is binding upon and inures to the benefit of the Parties hereto and their respective permitted successors and assigns.
(h) Export Regulation and Legal Requirements. The Software may be subject to US export control laws, including the US Export Administration Act and its associated regulations. Licensee shall not, directly or indirectly, export, re-export, or release the Software to, or make the Software accessible from, any jurisdiction or country to which export, re-export, or release is prohibited by law, rule, or regulation. Licensee shall comply with all applicable federal laws, regulations, and rules, and complete all required undertakings (including obtaining any necessary export license or other governmental approval), prior to exporting, re-exporting, releasing, or otherwise making the Software available outside the US. Software and services may not be used for military, law enforcement or related services or activities without the express written consent of Licensor.
(i) Equitable Relief. Each Party acknowledges and agrees that a breach or threatened breach by such Party of any of its obligations under Section 6 or, in the case of Licensee, Section 2(b), would cause the other Party irreparable harm for which monetary damages would not be an adequate remedy and agrees that, in the event of such breach or threatened breach, the other Party will be entitled to equitable relief, including a restraining order, an injunction, specific performance, and any other relief that may be available from any court, without any requirement to post a bond or other security, or to prove actual damages or that monetary damages are not an adequate remedy. Such remedies are not exclusive and are in addition to all other remedies that may be available at law, in equity, or otherwise.
(j) Counterparts. This Agreement may be executed in counterparts, each of which is deemed an original, but all of which together are deemed to be one and the same agreement.
Capitalized terms used but not defined in this Exhibit A have the meaning given to those terms in the Agreement.
- DESCRIPTION OF SOFTWARE:
- Software that runs on robots or similar devices. The Licensee code connects the robots to bThere.ai software services over the internet. This code may be provided in object or in human friendly source code format. Even when provided in source code format, the Software may not read or modified.
- Software that runs on phones, tablets, personal computers, similar devices, or web pages, enabling users to connect to bThere.ai software services over the internet which allows Authorized Users to interact with robots and with the services provided by bThere.ai.
- Server software that bThere.ai runs on servers is owned and exclusively managed by bThere.ai. The server software is not available in source or object format to the Licensee or Authorized User nor to other third parties. The server software is accessed by the Licensee or Authorized User over the internet using bThere Software running on robots, phones, tablets, personal computers, and web pages.
22 May 2019
Copyright 2019, bThere.ai